Humanistic therapy, sometimes just referred to as “humanism,” acknowledges that individuals can’t be sorted broadly into clear categories. By focusing on the person’s positive behavior traits, this method can help people find the motivation they need to succeed in recovery. It also helps staff get to know clients on a personal level, fostering genuine care and support.
At Del Arroyo Recovery Center in Southern California, this approach aligns perfectly with our commitment to personalized, holistic treatment plans. We believe that every client has the capacity to heal themselves and we work to motivate positive change.
How Humanistic Therapy Works
Humanistic therapy is a type of talk therapy that focuses on the person as a unique individual. It emphasizes personal agency and self-awareness, encouraging individuals to develop their own instincts and strengths.
Unlike other types of talk therapy that focus on challenges and direct the client toward possible actions, the humanistic approach is all about focusing on the positives and empowering the client to take the action for themselves. This is a critical part of both mental health and addiction recovery in that it raises low self-esteem and shows individuals they are not helpless.
Core values and principles of humanistic psychotherapy include:
- Personal growth: Helping clients develop a stronger sense of self and lead more fulfilling lives
- Responsibility: Clients are encouraged to take responsibility for their thoughts, behaviors and emotions, promoting accountability
- Non-directive guidance: Allowing individuals to direct themselves, coming to their own solutions and taking their own actions
- Self-actualization: The idea that everyone is driven to be their best, and that they can achieve it
- Holistic therapy: Addressing issues from a variety of perspectives, not just treating apparent symptoms
- Client participation: The client takes an active role rather than simply listening and responding
- Authenticity: Genuine interactions with clients, remaining open and honest as appropriate
- Empathy: Actively listening and striving to understand the client’s perspective
- Unconditional acceptance and support: A non-judgmental approach where clients can express themselves without criticism
Our Agoura Hills Treatment Center’s Approach
At our mental health treatment center in Southern California, we take a holistic, personalized approach that caters to each individual’s unique identity and needs. Our dedicated team of humanistic therapists are committed to creating a serene, supportive environment for healing.
We also strive to help clients sustain their sobriety and wellness for life. After treatment, Los Angeles-area alumni can enjoy continued counseling, helpful resources, and ongoing mental health support in our aftercare program.
The Role of Humanistic Therapy in Addiction Recovery
Humanistic psychotherapy is extremely valuable to addiction recovery. Not only does it foster positive attitudes, it helps empower clients to explore their own emotions and discover their authentic selves. Practicing self-compassion and self-acceptance allows them to embrace their vulnerabilities and develop better self-esteem, something that is often lacking in those who turn to drugs and alcohol.
Humanistic therapy includes a variety of unique strategies (the total immersion method, art therapy, etc.), but the three most common are:
- Person-centered therapy: Focuses on unconditional acceptance, empathy, and support
- Gestalt therapy: The Gestalt approach focuses on personal experiences and living in the present moment
- Existential therapy: Focuses on meaning and purpose, as well as how we shape them
Humanistic therapy techniques can change over time, depending on how things progress. It’s a versatile approach that a humanistic psychologist can use for a panic disorder, eating disorder, depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, and more.
Transform Your Life at Our Luxury Treatment Center in Agoura Hills, CA
The empowering, confidence-building techniques of humanistic psychology can be a truly transformative part of addiction recovery. At Del Arroyo Recovery Center in Southern California, we are dedicated to helping clients heal from their pasts and discover their true selves. If you’re struggling with an addiction and mental health problems, reach out to our Agoura Hills treatment center today to get the professional help you need.