At Del Arroyo Recovery Center in Agoura Hills, CA, we’re dedicated to providing evidence-based, individualized addiction treatment. One of the methods we use is known as motivational interviewing (MI), which helps clients work through their fears and overcome any ambivalence toward recovery.
Motivational interviewing is a powerful therapeutic approach that helps addicted individuals develop their own personal motivation to change, rather than having it imposed upon them by a counselor, family member, or legal authority.
The Role of Motivational Interviewing in Addiction Treatment
Motivational interviewing therapy is a technique in which a therapist or counselor gently guides someone toward their own intrinsic motivation for completing a substance abuse treatment program. This is a goal-oriented, collaborative approach in which both parties work together to create the best plan.
Motivation is the thing that drives a person to act. Without it, an addicted person will avoid treatment and ignore the root causes of addiction. With MI, a mental health professional can help the person take an active role in the recovery process. It can shift them into a change mindset, end procrastination, and get them excited about what a sober life could be. All of this readies them for specialized treatment for addiction and/or mental health issues.
The Five Pillars of Motivational Interviewing for Addiction Treatment
Motivational interviewing is based on five important values:
- Expressing empathy: Understanding and empathizing with the client’s perspective
- Developing discrepancy: Highlighting discrepancies between behaviors and goals, motivating change
- Rolling with resistance: Avoiding confrontation and guiding clients gently out of resistance
- Supporting self-efficacy: Helping clients believe in their strengths and drive their own changes
- Collaboration: Working on equal footing with clients in a respectful partnership
Our Agoura Hills Rehab’s Approach to Motivational Interviewing for Substance Abuse
At our Southern California rehab center in Agoura Hills, our expert staff are committed to providing holistic dual diagnosis care in a supportive and patient-centered environment. We integrate the strategies of motivational interviewing into a comprehensive, well-rounded treatment plan that truly allows clients to show self-efficacy in achieving their goals.
How Motivational Interviewing Works in Our Southern California Treatment Program
At our Agoura Hills substance use disorder rehab, our addiction counselors use four key motivational interviewing techniques:
- Engaging the client: The therapist communicates empathy and creates a friendly atmosphere of unconditional respect and acceptance. This helps the person relax and open up without fear of judgment.
- Focusing on change: The therapist draws the client’s attention to their personal goals and illustrates how the gap between their aspirations and their behaviors show a need for change.
- Evoking motivation: Through reflective listening and open-ended questions, the therapist encourages the person to move past their uncomfortable ambivalence and express their own reasons for change. This is a semi-directive methodology that lets the client drive the discussion.
- Planning and commitment: With the ambivalence eliminated, the therapist helps the person develop a clear substance use recovery plan with measurable goals.
MI addiction therapy with a trained therapist offers a number of benefits, including:
- Improved motivation (reduced ambivalence and resistance)
- Increased self-efficacy
- Readiness for change
- A more positive outlook
- Increased likelihood of success
Create Meaningful Change With MI Therapy in Los Angeles
If you or a loved one struggles with addiction and/or a mental health disorder, the Los Angeles therapists at Del Arroyo Recovery Center can help. Using motivational interviewing, we empower clients to make meaningful changes, increase their self-efficacy, and achieve their goals for a healthy, sober life. Contact us today to take the first step.